Wednesday, November 2, 2016

My Grace is Sufficient For You




I decided to exegete a scripture I felt I already knew, but could definitely use a reminder on

 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong
2 Cor 12:7-10

Thorn – The Greek word is “skolops” and it means a sharp stake or splinter. Imagine when a splinter is in your foot, it is the most painful and uncomfortable situation.

Messenger – Greek word “aggelos” and it means one sent with a purpose or intent

Buffet – Greek word “kolaphizo” meaning to maltreat or treat violently, or to strike with a fist, or to punch someone

Grace – Greek word “charis” refers to a gratifying manner or act (it could be abstract or concrete, literal, figurative or spiritual)

Sufficient – Greek “arkeo” meaning unfailing strength, to be enough, to defend, to ward off. To be satisfied, to be contented.

Perfect – “Teleioo” meaning to complete, to carry through completely, to accomplish.

Weakness – Greek “astheneia”. In regards to the body, it means feebleness of health or sickness, In regards to the soul, lacking the strength to understand, to do great things, to restrain corrupt desires, to bear trials and troubles.

So if I was to paraphrase the above scripture with the context of the original Greek words used, and into our context, it would read something like this:

Lest I should be exalted by the revelations and spiritual accomplishments I have received from God, a sharp painful splinter was figuratively placed in my life, sent by Satan to punch, maltreat and torture me. I begged and begged God to remove this thing from my life, but instead he said his grace to gratify and satisfy is more than enough to sustain, defend and ward off this painful splinter in my life. For his strength (ability and power) will complete me and bring my situation to a place of accomplishment. If this is the case, then I would rather acknowledge my weaknesses openly (boast about them), rather than hide and repress them, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Connect with me on